Pages

Copying Monet

Thursday, April 23, 2009

We have really enjoyed the picture studies we have done this year. Me especially. I heard someone say the other day that homeschooling benefits the parents...the kids are just along for the ride. With regards to picture and nature studies in our house, this is very true. I love them! In fact, this week we copied Monet paintings and I was a little disappointed that J~ was crying while the kids were doing theirs, because I didn't get to do mine!

Here are their finished pieces of art:

  • Venice at Dusk: 1908 by Claude Monet, 2009 by Q~


  • Garden at Sainte-Adresse: 1867 by Claude Monet, 2009 by N~


  • London, Parliament: 1904 by Claude Monet, 2009 by H~



  • Open-Air Study: Woman Turned to the Right: 1886 by Claude Monet, 2009 by S~



This was our first time to try and copy a work using paints. In the past we have used colored pencils, but the kids really wanted to try paint this time, because as H~ said, "Monet didn't do his with colored pencils, so we won't either." Soooo....we painted! Well,,,not me...not yet...

Backing up, last week we read this as our introduction to Monet.

These are the cutest books! Very informative, yet really funny. The kids (especially Q~) loved trying to read the cartoons with their best french accents. I believe they have a composer series as well.

Honestly, until this year I had no idea what copying a great piece of art can teach you about art itself, but I have learned a great deal. I am hoping to learn much much more, and I am praying that the kids enjoy the ride as well!

7 comments:

LilRedJo said...

Very well done! Impressive work:)

Becky said...

We love those books too! I need to get better about having my kids try and copy a piece of art. You have inspired me!

Unknown said...

Those are precious. We do reproductions as well. (Our current artist is Vermeer.) Paint is fun for a change. I know they loved it.

Richele said...

I do like the originals but the copies are brilliant!

Marie said...

GREAT JOB on the pictures. That quote is definately true about homeschooling being for the parent!!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Those look great! ♥

Ms Eva said...

Kudos to you for using paint! ;)

Post a Comment