Pages

90 Day Bible Challenge - Day 1

Monday, June 15, 2009


I have a confession.

I have NEVER, not EVER, read the Bible all the way through, much less in 90 days. I have been a Christian for a lot of years, and I'm pretty sure that I have read every book, but never in the 'read the Bible in a year' kind of way. I have tried MANY times. I don't know how many times I have read the book of Genesis! I have tried numerous reading plans, and for whatever reason, have failed every time.

THAT is why I WANT to do this. I want to be obedient to what God has laid on my heart to do.

That said, here are a few thoughts that are swimming around my head today with regard to this 90 Day Challenge.

1. I DON'T have to read all the chapters at one time. (I can't take 16 breaths in the same location, much less read 16 chapters at one sitting :) - DIVISION

2. I DON'T have to read first thing in the morning. (I tend to think this way: That if my quiet time isn't quiet then it doesn't count...crazy I know) - ANYTIME

3. I CAN read aloud to my children. (Funny story, while I was reading aloud to them today, they decorated me with streamers!) - TOGETHER

4. I DON'T want to skip over parts that I think I know, but read them fully with the expectation of learning something new. - THOROUGHNESS

5. I WILL make this a priority. - PRIORITY

6. I WILL use quiet opportunities to read my Bible (my time nursing J~) - OPPORTUNITY

7. I WILL pray. - PRAYER

8. I WON'T, I repeat, WILL NOT be a perfectionist in this. If I fall behind, I WILL NOT quit. - PERSEVERANCE

These are my resolutions.

Wordle: 90 Day Bible Challenge


I made the above at Wordle. You can make your own or you are welcome to snag mine. They are printable! It's saved publicly under 90 Day Bible Challenge.

Persevering after only one day :)

10 comments:

Paul and DeeDee said...

I am praying for you!

Rebecca said...

Thank you! :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Ooo, Wordle looks fun!
I haven't ever done this either, but for now I am satisfied with the fact that I have been FINALLY doing quiet time [almost] every day for six months now! Never in my life have I been consistent about that. So I pray that you accomplish this goal and grow closer to Christ in doing so! :-)

Karate Mom said...

What a great post! I admire your enthusiasm and your determination!
I'm currently reading through the Bible chronologically, (time wise, not in a Genesis to Revelation way) although I'm about 18 days behind the "read in a year" plan. But, the way I see it, there are books of the Bible I've NEVER read, so if I get all the way through it, I'll be proud of myself!

Rebecca said...

Ha! I kindof feel the same way Lisa. I say, pretty sure I've read all the books, but I'm not 100 percent sure, and I KNOW for sure that the last time I read anything close to the minor prophets was ages (as in many years) ago!!!

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

I love #4 - while reading the Noah story again this time, I caught that he brought seven of some animals and two of others... totally missed that before! I've got a post I'm working on for day one, but haven't got the pics in yet... Thanks so much for sharing this journey with us all!

LilRedJo said...

I tried to read the Bible in one year before...not so successful:( However, the GREAT news, is that I DID continue on, and finish it in a year and a half!!! 90 days is a short time frame...I hope you do it, but if it doesn't work, stay with it anyway!!

Jessica said...

I just found your blog yesterday through a link on another blog...I have decided to take your 90 day challenge! I am awful at sitting down and reading, but really going to try this time!

God Bless!

Jennie said...

Rebecca,
Thanks so much for inviting me to join you in this endeavor. I, too, have begun and not completed reading the Bible through many times and know I also have read every book just not in sequence to completion. I am, like you, making it a priority and plan to complete it to the end also. I'll pray for you as you pray for me.
God bless,
Jennie

Rebecca said...

It has been very nice to meet you Jennie! I will be praying for you and for everyone that is joining us! AND, thank you so very much for your prayers!

Post a Comment